Thursday, November 16, 2006

Wait - Rose!

Waitrose
I've just been shopping. I went to Waitrose. They have a quickcheck system which allows you to scan your own items as you go round. Then pay at an automatic checkout. I've used it since it was first introduced in my local store. I've loved it. (Though when they do a spot check and re-scan everything its always really nerve-wracking - worse than an exam!) Until today it was my favourite supermarket.

Today I used the new version of the system. I put my card in. It then told me the total and asked me to pay. Before it had always reviewed what I'd bought. I found this reassuring - it meant the program had matched up properly and I was about to pay for the things I'd put in my trolley. The new system didn't. I wondered what was wrong. I wasn't even sure it was working. It did produce a receipt AFTER I'd paid. I wasn't happy. I told a member of staff and she said it was quicker. I pointed out that it hadn't given me any indication that it was my bill I was being asked to pay and she looked at me like I was an idiot. She said you are meant to check as you scan. I looked at her like she was an idiot. I told her I was a programmer (didn't mention the retired part) and that I just wasn't going to trust a computer system that far.

So that's it. The end of faster shopping and back to letting them scan it all. Which may also mean Goodbye waitRose...

6 comments:

Caroline said...

Melba - I don't expect you, or anyone, to read my blog from cover to cover though its always great to know you have visited!

I'm glad you got a variety of suggestions - sometimes its the affirmations we find least attractive that are the important ones - assuming they are stating positive affirmative things that is.

Ian russell said...

when my daughter worked at waitrose, i had to collect her on dark evenings and, while waiting, i would see how many words you could make from the letters of the waitrose sign above the door, like if you climbed up and rearranged them. it passed the time... ;o)

oat wires
sore wait
o arse wit
raise two
rio waste

Caroline said...

Ian those made me laugh! especially "o arse wit" though it sounds like it was a "sore wait"

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Those service people who look at me as if I'm stupid...they're the stupid ones. We the customers pay their salaries.

Caroline said...

GG - you are right!

Ian russell said...

yes but only when I got home did I remember my favourite;

irate sow.

:D